Fishing the tiny River Medlock and beyond

Fishing the tiny River Medlock and beyond

Sunday 30 January 2011

River Etherow Woolley Bridge

When you know the weather is poor and there has been little rainfall you get the feeling that it might be hard on the river, and this weekend was one of those weekends. We all have a water that is a banker in any conditions and I am no different. I have been travelling up to The River Etherow for thirty years now. We used to get the 237 bus up to Tintwistle with all our gear every Sunday when we were schoolkids, then walk the river down to Woolley Bridge fishing every fishable swim.  Over the years I have caught some cracking trout and perch from here and never tire of this river.

As it is my birthday today where better to spend the day I asked myself. It is a good job we go fishing for more reasons than the catch, as today proved biteless. Of all the days, the fish decided not to feed in any of my favourite swims. After persevering for four hours trying stick float and swimfeeder without any success, I finally conceded defeat to a normally prolific river.
A mad dash home down the motorway and home in time for the Notts County v City match on telly. Surely City can't mess that up and  continue my run of bad luck............

No comments:

Post a Comment