Fishing the tiny River Medlock and beyond

Fishing the tiny River Medlock and beyond

Saturday 12 February 2011

You're never far from the Medlock

Last Sunday I ventured on to the river, knowing it would be mission impossible. Something always tells me there is a chance as long as you can cast a bait in. Not the case on this occasion. The rain had been relentless for 3 days and the river was muddy brown and flowing through at a fair rate of knots. As I sat watching my idle tip I realised today was a good day for gaining a few brownie points (shopping)!  However the chance was gone so I had to think how to get a plus from a day that was proving unfruitful, and packing the gear into the car and driving to the Ashton canal at Audenshaw would normally be the answer. Three hours later and biteless I finally admitted today was not going to make good reading.
On to Tuesday and it was off to Copenhagen to watch England take on Denmark. Normally a great destination for fishing, unfortunately my short trip did not allow enough time to get to a river, and as the weather was pretty cold I wasn't grumbling. However the trip started off on top form with a trip to The Medlock.!... a bar in terminal 3 on this occasion.
Anyway if you can't get a bit of fishing in , as long as you are on the water I feel you have done a trip some justice. So a boat trip around the harbour, up to the little mermaid and around the canals of Copenhagen was some consolation.

I did manage to get a little impromptu training session from the lads on the art of reeling in a fish, whether I should take their help seriously is in serious doubt! Mind you this was at about 1am after a few Tuborgs.


So on to the match and  a 2-1 win finished off a great midweek trip. The next away game is Wales and with it being in the close season for rivers, I have to wait until Bulgaria away in September for a bit of fishing combined with the footy on the River Iskar on the outskirts of Sofia on this occasion.
 Back to the fishing on Sunday and a trip to the River Etherow is planned. I have invested in some new gear including an unhooking mat and a lovely ABU 706 reel from the much talked about 'Anytackle' on Ebay. I have to say their price and delivery time was second to none.
Not a bad week after a poor start on the river. Heres hoping the Etherow is on form tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment